Gommy & Other Nana
To my great grandmothers Gommy & Other Nana,
This is just an unclear old photo, but I love that I have it. I think about the world’s young children at this point in time and I wonder why it is that they came into the world so much later than me and have so much of their lives ahead of them while I am older with so much less time left. (As if life isn’t a long and difficult road, but it is nonetheless life and it the only existence that we can be certain off.). I look at this picture and recall that it was the same scenario for you both when my mother and brother and I were young. My how time does fly for everyone. I imagine you thinking, “You are still only 59. Your life’s journey isn’t even at its end yet.”
Only 59? I may still have chapters of my life yet to live? With the way things currently are, it is unfathomable to imagine what those additional chapters might look like.
I swear in the most recent years, it seems like I have witnessed the world jump from one century to another. Well actually it did back in 2000, but I meant like a whole century in a short span of time. How utterly different the world that I now live in is from the world that was yours. I was a part of that world that was yours. Who could ever have imagined that my brother and I, and our cousins and your granddaughters also, would come to live in a digitally connected world of satellites, computers, smart phones, access to worlds of instant information and now artificial intelligence. Indeed, none of us were born soon enough to not be part of this crazy transformed world. I think I would have been bored in a world that wasn’t full of change and innovation, but let me tell you, life now is a crazy and wild ride and none of us know exactly where we are yet headed.
You both had unique names for great grandmothers. Your names of course, have their stories that perfectly makes sense. I just thought about the fact that you each had just one child so you share all the same grandchildren, great grandchildren, great great grandchildren, and all future descendants. That is interesting and unique.
“Gommy” Clara Bitz Senior, far left
“Other Nana” Mildred Etta Geddes Ingraham, far right

Comments
Post a Comment